Friday, October 9, 2009

Our Trip Home

Two weekends ago, we took our first trip home to Kansas since April. It was bitter-sweet. I was glad to be going home, but sorry we weren't returning with both of our children. We talked about Ryan a lot on the way out there and with our family. It felt good to see them again and to have a little fun while we were there. We got in town around 7pm on Friday night and enjoyed mine and Chris' favorite restaurant in Paola, Ks, El Tapatio. I worked there when I was in high school and I am sure it is the BEST Mexican Food EVER! We met my mom for dinner and Charlotte was so excited to see her Grandma.

Then, on Saturday morning, we visited Charlotte's Great Grandma and Grandpa Davidson. She had a good time playing at their house.

Great Grandma Davidson

Great Grandpa Davidson

Dressed for the fall weather, we took a trip to a nearby pumpkin patch and family activities with my mom, and Charlotte's other Great Grandma and Papa Pool. This is the hay maze. I think this was Charlotte's favorite activity. She walked the whole thing with her walker and felt so independent. Chris was hopping on all of the bales taking pictures of us as we made our way through the maze.


Great Grandma Pool, Me & Grandma (my mom)


I got the idea to let Charlotte leap down from the top of one of the hay bales. She squealed as she fearlessly jumped into my arms, wanting MORE.


This is near the top of a slide that they had created. Chris and I both slid down with her. It was a fun ride. Charlotte wasn't all that excited about getting in, but had a good time going down.


At the bottom of the slide with Daddy.


We took a hay rack ride out to the pumpkin patch. Charlotte insisted on sitting on her Papa's lap. (I think he was pretty happy to oblige). It was a relaxing, bumpy ride out to the pasture.


Snuggling with Papa and all smiles in the cool October air. It felt so great to be outside on such a beautiful day.


We took a wagon out to the pasture to hold all of our pretty pumpkins. Charlotte got to ride in it until we filled it too full and needed to pull the pumpkins instead.


We each picked a few pumpkins, even a "Cinderella" pumpkin (the most unique pumpkin I've ever seen) and also a pumpkin for Charlotte and Ian. Our wagon was full and heavy!


My Great Grandma and Papa in the pumpkin patch. They celebrated their 53rd Wedding Anniversary on the 7th of October. What an example they have set for sticking together, through thick and thin, loving eachother despite their faults, insecurities or mistakes. Unconditional love is hard to find. I think I am one of the few that has found it.


God's Glory, in the pastures of Kansas.


Fall wouldn't be complete without a posed picture next to the group of pumpkins.


Our family this Fall.


It was a wonderful day, being thankful for each other's company and the beautiful day.
On Sunday, we attended the United Methodist Church of Osawatomie, led by Pastor Gary Gooding. Charlotte got to wear a pretty new dress, made special by Grandma, and she made her offering in celebration of her 3rd Birthday at the front of the church. They even sang to her too. She was pretty good in church. Then, on our way home, we stopped and had lunch with my Dad and Rob in Independence at Zio's.

I'm glad we got to have so much fun while we were home and we are looking forward to our next visit soon. I love you Mom, Dad and my four wonderful Grandparents. I am so lucky to have so much family to look forward to seeing when I come home.

The Hawns

No comments: