Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tomorrow

Surgery has been scheduled for tomorrow. They still haven't told me what time of day, but it will be done at Children's Hospital of St. Louis. Charlotte is supposed to go to the ICU first, and then we are to expect a 3-5 day stay in the hospital so they can determine how her stomach is going to handle the food we put into it.

They did not find any indication that Charlotte has Eosinophilic Esophagitis, which is a good thing. At times, I find myself wishing they would find something that explains her struggles, but it must just be that her gastric emptying delay effects her that much. We have continued on the Reglan, and will continue her Prevacid for reflux as well. We also will be keeping a close watch on her blood pressure while in the hospital to determine if it is in the correct range or if her medication needs to be increased one final time. Hopefully, we can keep it where it is at. Chris and I get up at 2AM every night to give it to her because it has to be given every 6 hours, so hopefully, if they don't have to increase her dose, they can switch her to a medicine that only has to be given every 12 hours. A full nights sleep would be much appreciated in our house, as when I get up, I find it difficult to go back to sleep with everything on my mind.


A big thanks to everyone keeping our family in your prayers, know that we appreciate them all so much. We will let everyone know how the surgery goes as soon as we can. Here are some pictures from this past week.


Charlotte helping me decide what to type on our blog.


Playing in her toy box after church on Sunday.


We lowered her crib one final time, Charlotte was watching us and reading one of her favorite books in her rocking chair. She loves to rock in it by herself.


Studying the pages of puppies.


This is how we practice standing with Charlotte. We put her back to the couch and then give her something to concentrate on, reach for, etc. She loves this game.


Reach for the sky!


Playing downstairs in the basement with all of her other great toys. I think she forgets that she has them until we go down there again because she gets really excited.



Emptying Noah's Ark



We hope you all have a great week. I wish I could share more with you what we are feeling about this surgery, but honestly, my mind changes everyday. I know she needs it, but any time she gives me one little bit of hope, I try to talk myself out of it because I am dreading doing this. I know she needs help, I just wish what I could give was enough. I am scared that we are going to have more complications ahead, but in my heart, I believe that God will show us the way and that he will teach us how to help her more each day and will help us give her the strength she needs to grow and develop. He knows that is my daily prayer.


The Hawns

2 comments:

Kristi_Zehr said...

I am praying for all of you and have added you to our prayer list at church. You have been in my prayers ever since my friend told me about you before Charlotte was born. I have watched her grow in your pictures and feel your pain with each procedure. I have a husband who has been dealing with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma for years along with reflux, back problems and with the Lymphoma came a secondary illness which required large doses of prednisone that destroyed his hip joints. He has just gone through bi-lateral hip replacement and is now having more problems with the reflux, so we are going through the tests all over again for that.

God can work and does work miracles everyday, just keep your chin up and keep praying. We will continue to pray for all of you.

God Bless You All!

Kristi

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

I probably